We’re confident that implementing a hosted desktop service in any company would make massive improvements in both user productivity and security. However, there are some people still on the fence about them and one of the major objections is around cost.
Usually this come in situations where a company has recently invested in IT (licences, devices and servers) or perhaps they aren’t looking to grow at a rate where scaling up with hosted desktops would make sense.
But hosted desktops shouldn’t just be evaluated on a £x per user per month figure alone. They come with a range of direct and indirect cost savings which when you add them up against the cost of traditional IT make a hosted solution look a lot more favourable.
Here are 12 savings that you might not have realised come with hosted desktops…
1. As you’d be moving your data and applications off-site and into cloud-based data centres you can decommission any on-premise servers.
2. The Windows server licences are no longer needed either with the removal of your physical servers.
3. As too are any support or maintenance contracts you might have in place to keep those servers running.
4. You can save on Microsoft Office licences and any Citrix licences (needed for remote working) as they included and not needed respectively with hosted desktops.
5. If you have paid for leased lines to ensure good network performance, you can stop paying for these too as desktop as a service (DaaS) works really well across any internet connection.
6. Any backup software or hardware (tapes etc) will no longer be needed as DaaS offers this service too. Users work is constantly synced so that in the event of a crash users can resume exactly where they were.
7. Instead of spending £100’s replacing broken hardware (including expensive devices like Mac’s in order to run graphics or video editing software), you can instead buy £30 thin client devices. They work just as well, as all it needs is an internet connection and all applications (and processing power needed to run them) are stored in cloud accessed data centres.
8. DaaS offers improved uptime for companies so any downtime caused by leased lines, on-site server issues or local PC issues is a thing of the past. Now you can maximise the potential of all your working and billable hours.
9. If a device fails, the time spent setting up a new device is kept to a minimum. As long as it has an internet connection it can connect to everything it needs. No more wasted time re-installing various pieces of software.
10. Our hosted desktop customers get access to our award winning support team meaning your in-house IT team spend less time dealing with the day-to-day user issues which can eat into your working day.
11. As you only pay for what you need you will no longer have any scenarios where licences you may have paid for in advance sit under-utilised.
12. By decommissioning your on-site servers you will make savings from using less electricity and air-conditioning to cool your server room. And if you’re using thin client devices they only use a few pounds a year in electricity making them environment and cost-friendly.
You’ve read about the various ways a hosted desktop solution would save you money so why not take one for a test drive. Simply request a demo and we’ll set you up with an account so you can test it in a real world setting.
Get your free personalised benchmark report when you take our 5-min survey and pass it on to colleagues.