A little about me
Advantages of Working from Home
Improved work-life balance
Working from home offers me a much better work-life balance – something I was not given the opportunity to manage so closely in previous roles. There are times when I am required at the head-office in Newcastle, but these are few and far between, as all of my work can be completed remotely.
A couple of years ago, my daughter was born and I didn’t have to compromise on helping my partner to look after her. While I obviously had to work after my paternity leave was over, I could still look after her and adjust my working hours to suit my family. I’m also able to better plan my childcare or even take care of the dog.
A boost to productivity
Goodbye commute, hello lower stress levels
Technology means you don’t feel left out
Mike’s Working from Home Tips
As I’ve been doing it for over 5 years now, I thought I’d share the important things I’ve learned about home working that should help everyone have a better experience:
- Create an efficient working space – I turned my spare bedroom into an office. Ensure you have a comfortable chair, suitable device/monitor and a decent desk setup.
- Keep organised – You won’t have the usual prompts that you have in the office.
- Get into a good routine – There are different distractions at home, a routine can help combat this.
- Take regular breaks – This goes for working in the office too, but it’s somehow easier to forget when working from home.
- Speak to colleagues regularly to reduce isolation – At Atlas Cloud we use Microsoft Teams to keep in touch, it works brilliantly for us.
- Exercise – This is really important when regularly working remotely (even if it’s just going for a walk).
The moral of the story
I think by now we’ll all agree that working from home is entirely plausible for many of us. With advancements in technology (think hosted desktops and unified communication tools such as Microsoft Teams) home working has shifted from an occasional perk to a way of life.
It can have a massively positive impact on your employees. However, it also has great benefits to the employer e.g. higher employee engagement, access to a larger pool of talent, lower costs, lower carbon footprint, greater employee productivity etc.